ABOUT TROUT UNLIMITED
Trout Unlimited is a national organization with over 340,000 members and supporters organized into over 400 chapters and councils nationwide. These dedicated grassroots volunteers are matched by a respected staff of organizers, lawyers, policy experts, and scientists, who work out of more than 45 offices across the country. Our mission is to conserve, protect, and restore North America’s cold-water fisheries and their watersheds.
DEPARTMENT: Eastern Conservation
REPORTS TO: Keith Curley, VP for Eastern Conservation
POSITION TYPE/HOURS: Full time/40 hours
The Mid-Atlantic Coldwater Habitat Program Director oversees TU restoration programs in Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia. TU staff in the Mid-Atlantic Highlands work closely with state and federal agencies and private landowners on comprehensive watershed restoration initiatives, providing planning, design, and implementation of livestock exclusion fencing, riparian planting, instream habitat improvement, habitat reconnection, and other practices. The Director manages TU restoration staff in the region and provides programmatic leadership to develop and implement projects that best advance TU’s mission. The Director works closely with state and federal agencies and other stakeholders to develop restoration programs, raises money through grants and agreements, oversees budgets, and provides strategic direction for TU restoration efforts. The position is based in Davis, WV.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and manage a staff of 16 people plus 15 seasonal positions.
- Provide strategic direction for TU habitat restoration programs in the region.
- Raise money to support TU habitat restoration programs.
- Ensure that TU restoration programs meet budget and comply with grant terms. Position oversees project managers whose total budgets are in the millions.
- Develop strategic partnerships with state and federal agencies and other partners.
This is not an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in a field related to conservation a plus.
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of conservation. Direct experience in stream restoration is a plus.
- Supervisory experience and strong ability to lead and manage staff, including remote staff.
- Ability to fundraise and manage budgets that exceed $2 million.
- Experience managing contracts and funding agreements.
- Understanding of state and federal conservation and resource management agencies and their programs, and ability to develop and maintain successful partnerships.
- Experience working on habitat projects with private landowners.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences.
- Understanding of coldwater fisheries conservation, including the concepts and practices of stream restoration and watershed function.
- Ability to manage efficient workflow in a complex, multi-faceted program.
- Passion for the outdoors and Trout Unlimited’s mission.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest, resume and 3 professional references to Keith Curley, Vice President for Eastern Conservation, at email@example.com. Please insert the words “Mid-Atlantic Coldwater Habitat Program Director” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Application deadline: January 31, 2020
TU is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act.
TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.