Nature of position:
The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF), a national leader in promoting environmental literacy throughout the US, is seeking an energetic self-starter to lead our marketing and communications team. The Vice President of Marketing & Communications is responsible for leading NEEF’s internal and external strategic, multi-faceted approach to building public awareness of and engagement in environmental knowledge across a range of marketing and communications channels.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President of Marketing & Communications is a senior leadership position at NEEF and is responsible for managing and elevating NEEF’s brand; creating and implementing an innovative marketing strategy including online/offline strategies for expanding NEEF’s reach; strengthening the organization's role and reputation as the leading resource for environmental education in the US; and expanding NEEF’s visibility as we work to fulfill our vision that by 2022, 300 million Americans will actively use environmental knowledge to ensure the wellbeing of the earth and its people. The Vice President of Marketing & Communications will supervise the communications & outreach team, currently consisting of two full-time staff.
- Design, develop, execute, manage, and assess a comprehensive, time-specific marketing and communications plan that is aligned with the vision, contains clear and measurable goals, strategies, and metrics to support revenue generation, public outreach, and partnership cultivation while consistently promoting and elevating the NEEF brand. Primary elements of the plan will include:
- Clear and consistent messaging across all departments and appropriate collateral and tools, such as stories, to deliver messages.
- An effective social media strategy that contains clearly articulated and measureable objectives, and is linked to organizational and programmatic priorities.
- A robust brand strategy that ensures the NEEF brand is prominently and consistently communicated across the organization and its external relationships.
- A proactive media relations strategy that includes proactive outreach through print, broadcast, and online outlets and channels.
- Conceive and implement outreach strategies for NEEF’s initiatives, signature programs (National Public Lands Day and Environmental Education Week), and partner campaigns that support the marketing and communications plan and successfully move the organization toward its overarching goals, mission, and vision. Activities may include:
- Setting goals, identifying target audiences, crafting tailored messages, and developing an outreach strategy designed to reach the stated goals.
- Overseeing paid and earned media.
- Drafting supporting materials such as fact sheets, infographics, and newsletters.
- Creating and maintaining engaging web-based materials to support these efforts.
- Training NEEF spokespeople to participate in presentations and media interviews.
- Develop, execute, and assess NEEF’s organization-wide communications and story-telling strategy to include print, audio, visual, and electronic assets and strategies.
- Regularly assess the ROI of all communications and marketing activities, making changes or implementing new ideas where necessary to increase value.
- Review NEEF publications and materials to ensure they consistently convey the organizations brand and messages and support its overarching goal.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with NEEF partners, including vendors, NGO partners, celebrity spokespeople, and healthcare and media partners.
- Support the development of new partnership and co-branding opportunities. Previous experience with corporate partners is a plus.
- Work with the Research and Best Practices team to understand NEEF’s target audiences, research demographics and marketing profiles, and develop core messages designed to resonate with these audiences.
- Advance NEEF’s goals for greater inclusivity, evaluating opportunities to improve the cultural relevancy and social diversity of NEEF’s marketing and communications.
- Develop an annual marketing and communications budget and track departmental spending.
- Create, manage, and implement an internal marketing and communications plan aimed at ensuring all staff understand NEEF’s strategy and objectives and their role in supporting those efforts to elevate NEEF’s voice and drive its mission.
- Supervise, lead, and mentor all members of the marketing and communications team, effectively collaborate with NEEF staff as well as outside consultants, partner agencies, freelance designers, and production vendors.
- Under the direction and guidance of the President, act as the liaison to designated committees of NEEF’s Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in marketing or communications preferred.
- Senior level with 10-12 years of demonstrated marketing and communications experience developing and executing successful comprehensive strategic marketing plans to drive and increase revenue and engagement.
- Effective and motivational leader with a minimum of 5 years in a leadership/supervisor role and managing diverse teams; experience working in a nonprofit is a plus.
- Experience in brand management, assessment, and development.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and stakeholders, including vendors, consultants, funders, staff, and volunteers while driving to achieve goals.
- Experience in leveraging social media and digital platforms, and an ability to track and evaluate efforts to reach and grow target audiences.
- Extensive earned media experience and willingness to make pitch calls.
- Exemplary writing and editing skills, including the ability to write for different audiences and platforms and in different voices. Excellent oral skills and public speaking experience.
- Passionate, collaborative, forward-thinking, detail-oriented leader who is emotionally intelligent, able to show empathy, compassion, humility, and curiosity.
- Must be willing to travel; 20-25% of time.
The salary is commensurate with experience. The foundation has excellent benefits. The position is based in northwest Washington, DC and is metro accessible.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send your salary requirements, cover letter, and resume with specific examples of qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Vice President of Marketing & Communications in the subject line.