Are you passionate about fundraising and making a positive impact on the environment? Do you thrive in collaborative workspaces and value diverse and unique learning opportunities? Are you eager to connect your personal interests to a mission-driven organization that supports professional growth? NEEF has an excellent opportunity for a Vice President, Development to join our team.
The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF) is a national leader in building public environmental literacy. Congressionally chartered in 1990 as a 501c3 nonprofit to complement the work of the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), NEEF is a non-partisan, non-advocacy organization working to make the environment more accessible, relatable, relevant, and connected to the daily lives of all Americans. We collaborate with respected organizations, from both the public and private sector, to develop programs and trainings, organize events, and fund projects that empower people to positively impact our environment. Our major partners include Toyota, Samsung, Johnson & Johnson, Spectrum Brands, and multiple federal government agencies. Through our network, we aim to inspire the public to learn about their relationship to the environment and increase their environmental involvement.
We are seeking an energetic fundraiser to strategically lead NEEF’s development department and serve as a member of the executive leadership team. Reporting to the President, the Vice President, Development is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing a comprehensive corporate and foundation revenue development program on behalf of NEEF, and advancing its mission and vision. The travel commitment for the position is 25 to 30%.
- Create annual and long-term fundraising goals, plans, and strategies in collaboration with staff and board input, and direct the implementation of the plans and strategies.
- Serve as the frontline fundraiser for the organization, developing relationships with corporate and foundation contacts that lead to the solicitation of funds; manage 40-50 prospects personally with 7-10 visits/meetings per month.
- Partner with board members to identify, cultivate, and steward current and prospective donors.
- Provide oversight to the Development Manager, making the position a vital role in development strategies and motivate staff to pursue professional development opportunities that encourage growth and competence in their roles.
- Monitor progress and evaluate results of the development staff’s efforts; develop and track annual development budget and regularly coordinate reconciliation reports against the organizational budget with the Finance and Administration team.
- In conjunction with the Marketing and Communications team, prepare fundraising materials consistent with the NEEF brand, messaging, and marketing strategy to secure financial support.
- Work with the Development Manager and Program Directors to build and manage relationships, and prepare concept papers, corporate pitches/proposals, grant applications, progress reports, and related documents.
- Stay abreast of philanthropic trends related to fundraising; ensure that Board and staff are informed of changes in legislation and other trends and initiatives that might impact giving.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Fundraising or development experience, preferably in the NGO space, primarily focused on corporate and foundation funders.
- Excellent relationship building and solicitation skills; passion for networking.
- Non-profit leadership and experience in working successfully with board members and other high-level stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with senior executives and other staff to communicate and achieve goals.
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM database.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate the written and spoken work with tact, diplomacy, and authority.
- Attention to detail and follow-through are essential.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a team-oriented environment; creative and self-motivated.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Knowledge of corporate sustainability, environmental issues, and environmental education are a plus.
- Experience with new fundraising approaches such as crowdfunding and text-to-give strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or business, or comparable experience.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience and demonstrated success in cause and program marketing, soliciting major corporate / foundation support, special events, communications, donor stewardship, and grant writing.
- At least 10 years of management experience with a proven track record of building and mentoring teams.
- Ability to read and understand budgeting data.
At NEEF, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve.
Salary/Benefits: The salary is commensurate with your experience. NEEF offers excellent benefits, a collaborative and learning environment, flexible hours, and teleworking options for work-life balance. We are looking for someone who is passionate about making a long-term impact at a growing organization. The office is located in Washington, D.C. and is metro accessible. Working remotely may be considered for exceptional candidates.
To apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com and include Vice President, Development in the subject line. Only applications submitted with all of the requested information will be considered. No phone calls please.