Nature of Position: The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF), a national leader in building public environmental literacy, is seeking an energetic fundraiser to strategically lead NEEF’s development department and serve as a member of the executive leadership team. The Vice President, Development is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing a comprehensive corporate and foundation revenue development program on behalf of NEEF, and advancing the mission and vision of NEEF as established by the Board of Directors. Under direction of the President, the Vice President oversees and coordinates the efforts of the standing Development and Marketing Committee of the Board of Directors. The ideal candidate will have fundraising or development experience, preferably in the NGO space, and be passionate about making a long-term impact at a growing organization.
- Create annual and long-term fundraising goals, plans, and strategies in collaboration with staff and board input, and direct the implementation of the plans and strategies.
- Serve as the frontline fundraiser for the organization, developing relationships with corporate and foundation contacts that lead to the solicitation of funds.
- Oversee and direct the creation and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising strategy that will sustain and increase revenue in accordance with established priorities.
- Ensure the generation of revenue opportunities to maintain a robust pipeline of corporate and foundation support.
- Steward current donors, ensuring renewal of funding and building of strong relationships.
- Manage 40-50 prospects personally with 7-10 visits/meetings per month.
- Work with the Development Manager and Program Directors to build and manage relationships, and prepare concept papers, corporate pitches/proposals, grant applications, progress reports, and related documents.
- In conjunction with the Marketing and Communications team, prepare fundraising materials consistent with the NEEF brand, messaging, and marketing strategy to secure financial support.
- Develop relationships between persons of influence and NEEF. Solicit influential leaders for financial support, and involvement in Board and other volunteer roles.
- Partner with board members to identify, cultivate, and steward current and prospective donors.
- Monitor progress and evaluate results of the development staff’s fundraising efforts; develop and maintain reporting on fundraising performance against budget and report on variances.
- Provide oversight to the Development Manager, making the position a vital role in development strategies and motivate staff to pursue professional development opportunities that encourage growth and competence in their roles.
- Stay abreast of philanthropic trends related to fundraising; ensure that Board and staff are informed of changes in legislation and other trends and initiatives that might impact giving.
- Provide oversight to outside consultants, interns, fellows, and volunteers as needed.
- Develop and track annual development budget and regularly coordinate reconciliation reports against the organizational budget with the Finance and Administration team.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or business, or comparable experience.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience and demonstrated success in cause and program marketing, soliciting major corporate / foundation support, special events, communications, donor stewardship, and grant writing.
- Excellent relationship building and solicitation skills; passion for networking.
- Non-profit leadership and experience in working successfully with board members and other high-level stakeholders.
- At least 10 years of management experience with a proven track record of building and mentoring teams.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with senior executives and other staff to communicate and achieve goals.
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM database.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate the written and spoken work with tact, diplomacy, and authority.
- Attention to detail and follow-through are essential.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a team-oriented environment; creative and self-motivated.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Knowledge of corporate sustainability, environmental issues, and environmental education are a plus.
- Experience with new fundraising approaches such as crowdfunding and text-to-give strategies.
- Ability to read and understand budgeting data.
- Ability to sit in meetings for long periods of time
- Ability to work effectively using a personal computer for long periods of time
- Must be willing to travel at least 25-30%
Salary: The salary is commensurate with your experience. The Foundation has excellent benefits. The position is based in northwest Washington, DC, and is metro accessible.
To apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com and include Vice President, Development in the subject line. Only applications submitted with all of the requested information will be considered. No phone calls please.