Nature of Position: The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF), a national leader in promoting environmental literacy throughout the US, is seeking an energetic self-starter to support our marketing & communications and development departments. The intern will support the goals of each department by researching corporate and foundation prospects and creating content for NEEF communications. This position works at the intersection of marketing and development, and the intern will have direct access to the VP of Marketing and Communications and the Senior Director of Development. While national in scope, NEEF is a small organization that will enable the right candidate to gain a breadth of knowledge related to the operation of a nonprofit organization. We take pride in being a learning institution and the Intern will have many opportunities to interact with a diversity of NEEF staff. This is a (flexible) 16-24 hour per week position.
Primary responsibilities include researching funding prospects and drafting newsletter articles, entering funding prospect data, and drafting other written content. The Intern may also have the opportunity to learn grant writing and reporting, as well as the Salesforce CRM.
- Research corporate and foundation prospects.
- Maintain up-to-date funder information in Salesforce database.
- Research and draft articles for NEEF newsletters.
- Assist with other types of written content and creative slogans for social media and digital marketing campaigns.
- Assist in preparation of development materials for funder meetings, internal newsletter, and other communications as requested.
- Assist with processing annual state charitable solicitation registrations across the US.
- Attend webinars and events when needed.
- Participate in development and marketing & communications planning meetings.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate or graduate student with an interest and some knowledge/background in communications/marketing and/or development/fundraising/sales, or relevant nonprofit work experience.
- Possess excellent research, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to organize and manage project management and data tracking systems and work on multiple tasks at the same time.
- Database experience preferred.
- Working understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Enjoy working both independently and in collaboration with our NEEF team.
- Possess a strong interest in learning about the nonprofit environment.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position in meetings that last for at least two hours.
- Ability to effectively operate a personal computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with teams.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with ADA defined disabilities to perform essential functions.
Salary: The position pays $14/hour.
To apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This is a four-month position, beginning in January 2019 and running through the spring semester. Please send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Marketing & Development Intern in the subject line. Only applications with cover letter, resume, and writing sample will be considered. The position is based in Washington, DC. No phone calls.