Are you passionate about marketing/communications and making a positive impact on the environment? Do you thrive in collaborative workspaces and value diverse and unique learning opportunities? Are you eager to connect your personal interests to a mission-driven organization that supports professional growth? NEEF has an excellent opportunity for a Manager, Content Marketing to join our team.
The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF) is a national leader in building public environmental literacy. Congressionally chartered in 1990 as a 501c3 nonprofit to complement the work of the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), NEEF is a non-partisan, non-advocacy organization working to make the environment more accessible, relatable, relevant, and connected to the daily lives of all Americans. We collaborate with respected organizations, from both the public and private sector, to develop programs and trainings, organize events, and fund projects that empower people to positively impact our environment. Our major partners include Toyota, Samsung, Johnson & Johnson, Spectrum Brands, and multiple federal government agencies. Through our network, we aim to inspire the public to learn about their relationship to the environment and increase their environmental involvement.
We are seeking an energetic, creative self-starter to create a wide range of compelling content that aligns with NEEF’s overall strategic plan and engages our target audiences. Reporting to the Vice President, Marketing & Communications, the Manager is responsible for drafting and editing high-level marketing content of an exceptional quality that will help drive brand awareness, visits to our website, engagement on social media, SEO, and more. Along with considerable daily writing and editing, there is a particular emphasis on the ability to leverage content across platforms (web, mobile, media, social, etc.), and on understanding and using analytics to measure and report on the effectiveness and reach of NEEF’s content.
- Outline, research, and compose a variety of engaging content using different writing styles, including news and features articles, outreach emails, website content, infographics, videos, case studies, and social media.
- Stay up-to-date on industry best practices and new and existing stories on our markets; monitor content activities of competitor websites.
- Create and manage a content marketing calendar to ensure regular content on the website and social media throughout the year.
- Build and manage NEEF’s social media profiles and presence, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and You Tube; ensure consistent content and proper tagging.
- Research and follow influencers in NEEF’s markets and work to engage them; establish and implement effective influencer strategies.
- Monitor and engage in relevant social discussions about NEEF, our competitors, and/or industry, both from existing leads and customers as well as from brand new audiences; respond to comments, questions, and reposting in a timely manner.
- Collect, monitor, and interpret data and research of content performance and other data to shape the content strategy, themes, and messaging; evaluate and adjust your efforts as necessary.
- Create polls and surveys using Survey Monkey.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Creative and passionate about writing, with a solid understanding of news and feature story development and the ability to conceive interesting ideas for new content; ability to identify visual elements to enhance content and storytelling.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills and familiarity with WordPress, HTML, CSS, InDesign.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage multiple tasks and tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills; excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills with attention to detail; strong verbal communication skills. Familiarity with Chicago style.
- Ability to pick up new skills quickly and efficiently.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in English, Journalism, Communications, or related discipline.
- Minimum of 2 to 3 years of professional work experience in one or more of the following areas: marketing, communications, public relations, copyediting.
- Strong knowledge of content marketing principles including SEO, social media, and digital marketing strategies, best practices, and analysis.
- Excellent research skills, including identifying new sources of relevant, credible information and strong analytical skills.
- Well-versed in social media and analytics with an understanding of metrics and reporting.
At NEEF, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve.
Salary/Benefits: The salary for this position is $60,000. NEEF offers excellent benefits, a collaborative and learning environment, flexible hours, and teleworking options for work-life balance. We are looking for someone who is passionate about making a long-term impact at a growing organization. The office is located in Washington, D.C. and is metro accessible.
To apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Manager, Content Marketing in the subject line. Acceptable writing samples include a feature article, news story, sales or action-oriented emails. Only applications submitted with all of the requested information will be considered. No phone calls please.