Nature of Position: The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF), a national leader in building public environmental literacy, is seeking an energetic self-starter to join the programs team to support our health initiatives. The goal of the Health & Wellness Program is to advance environmental knowledge among health professionals to improve the public’s health, with a special emphasis on children and underserved populations. The Program includes projects involving partnerships with federal agencies, health professional organizations, and public health groups to provide environmental education to physicians, nurses, and other primary health care providers.
- Assist the health & wellness program officer with planning, implementation, and evaluation activities for the Pediatric Asthma Initiative www.neefusa.org/health/asthma and Children and Nature Initiative: Rx for Outdoor Activity www.neefusa.org/health/children_nature.
- Update environmental health materials
- Perform database entries and management of the database
- Maintaining spreadsheets
- Mail and track material distribution
- Research prospective funding opportunities
- Assist with social media
- Other special research projects and administrative duties as needed
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Applicants can be undergraduate or graduate students with an interest and some knowledge/background in environmental health issues.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to handle, organize, and prioritize multiple tasks
- Database management knowledge preferred
- Familiarity with most major new media tools and direct experience as an active user on multiple outlets (e.g. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.)
- Ability to sit in meetings for long periods of time
- Ability to work effectively using Microsoft office and other tools on a personal computer for long periods of time
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with our small program team
- Good sense of humor!
- Additionally, the ideal candidate will demonstrate an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations; and
- Contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary: The internship pays $14/hour. The work schedule can be 16-20 hours per week; hours are flexible within organization operating hours (Monday through Friday, 9:00a – 5:00p). The ideal start date is early October.
To apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Health & Wellness Intern in the subject line. The position is based in Washington, DC.