Location: Boston, MA
Summary: The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), America's oldest conservation, education and recreation organization, is seeking a Program Coordinator to support our Outdoors Rx Chelsea/Revere programs and oversee curriculum and program materials.
Established in 2013, Outdoors Rx offers programs for families with children ages 0-13 in the Greater Boston communities of Chelsea, Revere, East Boston, Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury, Waltham and Framingham. Based on the significant research showing that spending time in nature can improve physical, emotional and mental health, Outdoors Rx helps residents adopt healthier, more active lifestyles by reducing the most common barriers to the outdoors – cost, access, information and equipment. We offer guided year-round, outdoor family programming in local green space, including nature explorations, walks, and group games.
As the Program Coordinator, you will plan seasonal program offerings for your region, and recruit participants through building relationships with medical and community partners and families. This includes program administration and logistics, and leading engaging outdoor programs with families. Additionally, the Program Coordinator will manage the curriculum library, curriculum development, program training, and program materials in support of the Outdoors Rx team.
Chelsea/Revere Program Coordination:
- Program Planning & Delivery: Develop and deliver family-based programs, typically 60-90 minutes in length, which spark dynamic participant experiences and encourage continued outdoor engagement.
- Family/Community Engagement: Through our medical and community partnerships, and grass roots organizing, connect families to our outdoor programming.
- Partnership Development: Seek out, develop, and maintain appropriate partnerships with medical and community organizations.
- Data Collection and Reporting: document program outcomes and lessons learned, collect participant data, take photos, and compile program highlights.
- Risk Management: Implement AMC and Outdoors Rx risk management procedures.
- Travel to and from AMC Headquarters and Outdoors Rx communities as needed.
- Ensure the integrity, consistency, and quality of the Outdoors Rx curriculum.
- Refine existing curriculum and create new curriculum to meet program goals outcomes.
- Ensure Outdoors Rx curriculum and program supplies are well organized physically and digitally, and that team members have the necessary tools, materials, and training to successfully implement programming.
- Collaborate with Outdoors Rx team members to determine appropriate curriculum for upcoming programs and create print calendars for public distribution.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience facilitating family or youth programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and interest in working with people from a diverse range of backgrounds and outdoor experiences.
- Spanish language proficiency.
- Experience developing or managing curriculum, or a background in education.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work one weekend day and occasional evenings.
- Ability to carry up to 15+ pounds of program supplies with ease.
- Must have own reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR (can be obtained upon hire).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience with community engagement.
- Demonstrated experience in program and partnership management.
- Knowledge of Chelsea and Revere neighborhoods and parks.
To Apply: Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying via the below link.
In your cover letter, please highlight your program and curriculum/education experience. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!