Job Announcement: Director of Operations
The James River Association (JRA) is seeking a full time Director of Operations to be based at its headquarters office located in Rocketts Landing in Richmond, Virginia.
About the James River Association:
Founded in 1976, the James River Association (JRA) is the oldest and largest river conservation group in Virginia and the only organization solely dedicated to protecting and restoring the James River. JRA has offices in Richmond, Lynchburg, Williamsburg, and Scottsville, as well as the James River Ecology School on Presquile National Wildlife Refuge. JRA pursues its vision of a fully healthy James River that supports thriving communities by protecting the James River and connecting people to it. We work through four program areas based on a model of individual engagement – awareness, appreciation, action, and advocacy. JRA’s core values are: We are optimistic; We are catalysts; Credibility is our currency; and Community drives everything we do.
The James River Association (JRA) is seeking a Director of Operations to strengthen its internal operations so that its programs can be the most effective possible. The position will oversee JRA’s financial systems, office systems, human resource policies, and safety procedures. A successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated project management abilities, experience with managing financial systems, including familiarity with nonprofit finances and federal government audits, and working knowledge of human resource management. The candidate will also have an overall interest in issues affecting the James River.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Financial System:
- Oversee JRA’s financial systems, prepare and assist with yearly operating and programmatic budgets.
- Supervise the Administrative Assistant and Bookkeeper position in executing and recording transactions in Quickbooks.
- Track financial performance regularly and prepare monthly internal financial reports and quarterly financial reports for the Board of Directors.
- Prepare for annual audit and work with auditors to produce annual financial statements and 990 tax form.
- Human Resources:
- Manage and implement our human resources functions, which include compensation matters, interpretation of our Personnel Policies, new employee orientations, staff training needs, oversight of financial policies and procedures, etc.
- Consult with JRA’s insurance broker, attorneys, and other outside resources to stay up-to-date on employment-related policies, worker’s compensation, and any other policies that many affect employees at JRA.
- Office Systems:
- Manage the office systems of the JRA headquarters in Richmond and our regional offices and facilities (Lynchburg, Williamsburg, Presquile, and Scottsville), by assisting with any issues that may arise and providing advice and support as needed.
- Ensure that information and communications systems are functioning and meeting staff needs and engage and direct IT contractor as needed.
- Supervise Administrative Assistant and Bookkeeper position to ensure offices supplies and other materials are available.
- Safety Policies and Procedures:
- Oversee JRA’s Fleet and Facility maintenance and operations procedures and communicate necessary information to staff.
- Oversee JRA’s Safety Program and ensure that safety rules and policies are being followed and documented. Ensure that JRA’s safety manual is up to date and is being distributed to all employees.
- Working with JRA’s insurance broker, ensure that risks are appropriately managed and that insurance coverage is sufficient.
- Supervise Safety, Fleet, and Facilities Manager position.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of human resource management, personnel issues and employment practices with at least 4 years of experience in this field.
- At least 5 years of experience managing financial systems (preferably Quickbooks), with solid working knowledge of nonprofit accounting and reporting, grant tracking and reporting and federal A133 audit procedures.
- Must possess leadership skills and the ability to resolve conflicts and help with troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated success in project management, problem solving, meeting deadlines and schedules, and ability to manage contractors.
- Strong communications, analytical skills, teamwork, integrity, and reliability
- College degree with at least 7 years of combined experience in human resources and financial systems.
JRA offers a dynamic and flexible work environment with a generous and comprehensive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience. JRA is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter, with salary history, by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
James River Association
Attn: Chelsea Tickle
211 Rocketts Way, Suite 200
Richmond, VA 23231
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled, but interviews will be scheduled with qualified candidates starting November 8, 2019. Otherwise, no calls or visits, please.