Introduction: Grand Staircase Escalante Partners (GSEP) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization with offices located in Kanab and Escalante, Utah. We are committed to the conservation and protection of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument (GSENM). Our organization provides volunteers and other resources (staff, funding, etc.) for scientific research, education programs and conservation projects for GSENM, and advocates for the strongest possible conservation management of the Monument.
GSEP is committed to prohibiting and eliminating discrimination in employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or physical ability. GSEP prohibits and will not tolerate any such discrimination or harassment. GSEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment opportunities at GSEP are based upon one's qualifications and capabilities to perform the essential functions of a particular job. All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Description: GSEP is seeking a part-time Communications Coordinator to assist with written communications including our email outreach, website, and social media. We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about the protection of public lands and has excellent professional communication skills. In addition to communications, this position will support other needs of our organization including donor and member management, event coordination, research, media creation and file organization. If you are interested, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please apply by July 21, 2020. The job posting can be found at www.gsenm.org/jobs
Hours: 10-20 hours per week during week days. Occasional weekend or evening event support may be required.
Pay Range: $18- 25 an hour, dependent on experience.
Location: Flexible, with a preference for candidates located within the gateway communities of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Remote work may be considered.
Benefits: This position will be eligible for paid holiday time off and paid vacation and sick leave. GSEP also offers 401k retirement options.
- Keeps website and social media channels fresh, exciting, and updated.
- Composes emails and e-blasts to GSEP contact list on an as-needed basis, usually 1-3 per month.
- Develops communications for the GSEP Climate Change Mitigation Campaign, including but not limited to: writing long-form blog posts, managing campaign communications and social media strategy, developing a tailored-approach to help target diverse audiences, helping plan community events, measuring campaign reach and effectiveness.
- Solicits articles and helps compose a quarterly electronic Partners newsletter. Takes the lead in drafting, adding images, formatting, and finalizing the newsletter.
- Develops an understanding of GSEP’s mission, organizational values, and strategic priorities in order to convey our brand and voice across all aspects of work in a professional, authentic, and cordial manner.
- Learns and develops messaging about Indigenous Tribes' connections to the GSENM region. Builds relationships and amplifies Indigenous perspectives across GSEP's platforms.
- Manages and organizes photo files and media assets for GSEP.
- Manages the membership list and send out monthly reminder notices to lapsed members. Responds to member requests and needs.
- Manages and distributes public outreach through the GSEP Website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts in coordination with GSEP staff. Keeps content current and fresh, monitors responses, and responds to conversations with the public as needed.
- Solicits information and stories from GSEP staff that are appropriate to share on social media channels. This can also include obtaining information from other sources (such as the Conservation Lands Foundations, Colorado Plateau Coalition, Friends Grassroots Network, Escalante River Watershed Partnership, etc.).
- Manages and updates member contact information and distributes e-blasts (electronic blasts) using membership databases.
- Helps coordinate and facilitate Escalante River Watershed Partnership meetings, committees, and communications.
- Assists staff with writing and/or reviewing various brochures, flyers, posters or other forms of publications, including press releases. Places purchase orders for media materials.
- Manages GSEP merchandise for member gifts and purchase, specific duties will vary depending on the location of the candidate.
- Excellent written communication skills and email etiquette.
- At least one year in a role involving professional written communications.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
- Familiarity with how to manage an organization’s social media networks. Must have or be willing to create a personal Facebook and Instagram profile as needed to administer these accounts.
- Ability to work proactively and independently, exercising proper discretion regarding when input from GSEP staff is needed before proceeding.
- Willingness to help support GSEP staff with other tasks as needed.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Experience managing a company / organization’s social media networks.
- Familiarity with Grand Staircase-Escalante region, public lands, and/or conservation, etc.
- Experience in email marketing and/or WordPress front end development is preferred.
- Located near Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.