ABOUT DEFEND OUR FUTURE
As the Trump administration cedes climate leadership on the world stage, doubles down on its assault on bedrock environmental and public health protections, and undermines sound science to thwart commonsense policymaking, it is more important than ever to be involved in the fight against climate change.
That’s why Defend Our Future, a project of Environmental Defense Fund, is empowering young people on college campuses and in communities around the country to educate their peers and colleagues on climate change and advocate for solutions that will protect our health and future and leave a better planet for future generations.
The Arizona Organizer contract position will be based in Flagstaff, Arizona. The Arizona Organizer will be required to travel within the city and adjacent communities. This is a contract position beginning July 1, 2019 and ending September 30, 2019.
THE DEFEND OUR FUTURE ORGANIZER
As a Defend Our Future Arizona Organizer, you’ll play a leading role in building a diverse and enduring movement for climate action. The organizer will work to develop a student-led volunteer program that motivates young people (including early career professionals) to become the leading voices in the climate movement. By engaging a wide and diverse range of students, community and civic leaders (including business owners), the Organizer will expand the presence of the organization through quality face-to-face conversations, group engagement, and build a network prepared to take consistent and effective action. The organizer will be expected to participate in trainings (online and in-person) throughout the summer.
- Expand Defend Our Future’s presence in communities and nearby campuses.
- Build grassroots support and a network of volunteers for Defend Our Future’s priority issues.
- Develop relationships with civic organizations and campus-based organizations, as well business and other community leaders.
- Recruit and build volunteer networks with one-on-one meetings, canvassing (collecting petitions, tabling, etc), conversations with community and campus groups and presentations to classes and community organizations
- Develop and manage volunteer leaders and volunteer teams
- Engage students and community members on a daily basis to collect commitments (petitions) to protect our progress and fight climate change
- Engage new and past supporters over the phone and in person, and move them to action through email and text, meetups and other community building events, and workshops (including how to write a letter to the editor)
- Plan and execute community events promoting action on climate
- Be available to work 35 hours per week
- Passion for environmental advocacy and social change
- Work collaboratively and meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google docs and social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to engage diverse audience, from members of Congress, to students, volunteers and the public
- Prior experience organizing and managing volunteers is strongly preferred
- Must have access to a working laptop computer that is WiFi enabled
- Must have valid driver’s license and access to a car
The Defend Our Future Arizona Organizer will report the Defend Our Future Arizona Campaign Manager and participate in regular (weekly) calls with other organizers. The Organizer will be responsible for ensuring that data (such as contact information for new supporters and volunteers, local business owners and notes from office visits) is uploaded to a database on a regular basis, and will coordinate with staff on event promotion and social media content.
The Arizona Organizer will be compensated monthly at a flat rate of $3,500. The term of this contract position is July 1, 2019 – September 30, 2019.
TO APPLY: Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Arizona Organizer.”