Education Programs MANAGER
Full Time, Salary
Reports to: Director of Education and Strategic Initiatives
Riverbend is not-for-profit 501 (c) 3, located in Gladwyne, PA, whose mission is to teach environmental principles to children in Southeastern Pennsylvania, through a direct connection with nature, inspiring respect for our natural world and action as aware, responsible and caring citizens. We work with teachers, students and families in the greater Philadelphia region to build environmental literacy and connect people with nature through high quality environmental education programs. We are committed to providing experiences that are innovative, culturally relevant and effective. The Education Programs Manager is integral to our success as a regional leader.
Responsible for leading, managing and evaluating formal education programs for groups and individuals to meet the mission, vision and strategic goals of Riverbend Environmental Education Center. This includes school programs, camps, scouts and public programs. The manager will schedule and oversee the implementation of group programs including the leadership, training and management of per-diem employees as needed. The Education Programs Manager reports directly to the Director of Education and Strategic Initiatives. The manager supervises the Education Programs Coordinator, Environmental Educators, interns and volunteers.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the education department including school, scout, summer camp, birthday parties, year-round camp and public programs.
- Lead a diverse team of environmental educators to implement high quality, innovative environmental education programs at Riverbend and throughout the region.
- Hire, train and supervise environmental educators, interns and volunteers for education programs, birthday parties and barn rentals.
- Provide leadership to Camp program, including mentoring staff, tracking numbers and creating the budget. Assist with management of seasonal camp staff.
- Write and update education program curriculum that aligns with Riverbend’s mission and strategic goals for onsite and offsite programs.
- Work collaboratively with Education Specialist and Director of Education to establish staff training and coaching program as well as program evaluation plan.
- Manage reservation process for all education programs but not limited to taking reservations, supervising staff in administrative work, implementing marketing plan, scheduling staff and programs, confirming dates and invoicing clients.
- Manage online calendar for school, scout and outreach programs.
- Support teacher professional development and access programs (Philadelphia Children Access Nature, Outreach to Children, Access Nature) through programming planning, implementation and teaching.
- Teach onsite and offsite education program as needed.
- Assist with planning and implementation of weekend events and public programs like Shiverfest, Family Campouts, Birding and Bagels, and Summer Solstice.
- Perform animal husbandry and habitat maintenance as needed to support the animal ambassador, aquaponics and field trip programs.
- Daily maintenance of program areas, including cleaning program spaces, trash removal, maintain composting toilets and reporting maintenance issues in a timely manner.
- Other duties as needed to ensure the success and sustainability of Riverbend Environmental Education Center.
Qualifications and Skills
- B.S. in Environmental Education, Biology, Ecology or other related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in teaching, professional educational program development and management.
- Proven management skills (at least 3-5 years).
- Demonstrated experience teaching using informal education strategies like inquiry based, place based, project based and experiential learning.
- Experience working with audiences from various age groups, backgrounds and cultures.
- Exceptional teaching skills.
- Grant implementation experience preferred.
- Good communicator, proven relationship building skills.
- Creative and innovative thinker.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Google platforms and other educational technology.
- Solutions oriented problem solver.
- Dependable, with a strong work ethic and self-motivation and ability to work independently.
Self-starter, with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make decisions and meet deadlines.
Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a team-oriented environment.
Experience working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment and demonstrated flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities.
A positive attitude and collaborative approach to working on a team.
Passionate about Riverbend’s mission.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work will be split between an office environment in a renovated barn, offsite classrooms and outdoors in natural areas on Riverbend’s property and other nature preserves.
- Manage and teach programs outdoors in all conditions.
- Regularly will need to walk trails with lots of hills and uneven ground.
- Regularly will need to work with live animals including insects, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and fish.
- No allergies to plants or animals that may interfere with the ability to perform the job.
- Ability to safely lift and carry 50 lbs. for a distance of 25 ft.
- No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance, and agility of movement (which cannot be corrected with appropriate device) which may interfere with the ability to perform work.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle with either a standard or automatic transmission.
- Ability to use own vehicle for transportation to off-site programs.
- Ability to maintain focus under pressure and make adjustments to accommodate program and client needs.
- Successful completion of a post-offer background check, including criminal, driving records and ability to obtain PA Child Abuse History Clearance and FBI Fingerprinting.
- Work schedule will include some weekends and occasional holidays as needed for programming.
To Apply: Please send a formal letter of interest and resume and salary requirements attached as either PDF or Word documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Education Programs Manager” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or mailed applications.
Compensation: Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Riverbend offers a generous benefits package including PTO, health, dental, and vision, as well as life, disability and 403b retirement plans.
Anti-Discrimination Policy: Riverbend does not discriminate based on ethnicity, race, gender or sexual orientation and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.