POSITION TITLE: Mid-Atlantic Leadership Development Manager
REPORTS TO: Leadership Development Director
LOCATION: Mid-Atlantic region with preference for proximity to Annapolis / Baltimore, MD. Position will be based out of a home office.
TERM OF POSITION: Full-time salaried, non-exempt. Annual salary range between $55,000 and $65,000 commensurate with experience.
POSITION SUMMARY: River Network seeks a dynamic, motivated and highly organized individual to join our team as Leadership Development Manager for the Mid-Atlantic/ Chesapeake Bay region (includes WV, VA, Washington DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ and NY). This position will help increase the effectiveness of leaders, organizations and collaborative efforts/networks that are working on issues pertaining to healthy rivers and clean water for all throughout the Mid-Atlantic/Chesapeake Bay region, including engagement on the key issues fundamental to addressing today’s water crisis (i.e., clean, safe, affordable drinking water; flood- and drought-resilient cities and communities; healthy rivers in agricultural landscapes; and robust and effective water laws and policies) – see River Network’s strategic plan for more information. The position serves as a trainer, mentor, network hub and resource to support leaders, organizations, and collaborative efforts define their goals and strategies; strengthen their community organizing and civic engagement initiatives; increase their nonprofit management skills; design and implement initiatives related to diversity, equity and inclusion; and build effective, multi-stakeholder collaborative efforts for greater impact. The position will also support various issue-focused networks of organizations, designing peer-to-peer learning opportunities and disseminating network members’ success stories and lessons learned to a broad, national audience.
The position needs to fully understand the expertise available through the River Network team, engage various team members in delivering support (e.g., science, policy, leadership development, etc.), and establish partnerships with others to fill knowledge gaps. In addition, the position collaborates with other individuals, organizations and funding entities across the region. This person must be flexible and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. We are looking for candidate poised to become a successful member of our nationally dispersed team who is excited about helping to connect all people to achieve a sustainable and healthy future for our nation’s rivers and waters.
ABOUT RIVER NETWORK: River Network envisions a future of clean and ample water for people and nature, where local caretakers are well-equipped, effective and courageous champions for our rivers. River Network’s mission is to empower and unite people and communities to protect and restore rivers and other waters that sustain all life. Visit http://www.rivernetwork.org to learn more about our current priorities. Our headquarters are in Boulder, Colorado with staff and contractors working from various locations across the U.S.
River Network is committed to embracing diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas to achieve our mission. Through our programs, we seek to connect with all communities and increase the impact of their efforts to secure clean and ample water. River Network is intentional about our staffing and engagement practices and we strive to increase the diversity of our staff, board, members, and supporters with strategic recruitment and partnerships and an inclusive workplace culture.
Developing Effective Leaders, Organizations and Networks
- Plan, design and facilitate in-person and online capacity building training sessions;
- Provide consulting services to local, state and regional organizations to build their organizational capacity (e.g. board leadership, fundraising, strategic planning, effective partnerships, program evaluation and others);
- Provide consulting services to support the formation and effective operations of multi-stakeholder networks across the region for greater collective impact;
- Deploy organizational assessment tools with organizations and networks to assess their strengths and capacity needs.
Civic Engagement and Participation
- Design and deliver training sessions and programs on topics related to community organizing and civic engagement to promote increased public participation in decisions related to water;
- Provide consulting services to organizations and networks on topics related to planning and executing advocacy campaigns and developing/maintaining effective coalitions.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships and communication with River Network stakeholders throughout the Mid-Atlantic states, including member organizations, conservation and environmental justice leaders, advocates and funders;
- Develop and manage outreach efforts to enhance the visibility of River Network programs and services in the region;
- Handle referrals to other staff and consultants for assistance in other fields of expertise;
- Collaborate with River Network staff on program development, grant writing, project management and grant reporting activities;
- Support planning activities and participate in River Network’s annual River Rally, the Chesapeake Watershed Forum and other regional and national training events;
- Write and prepare materials for newsletters, blogs and training sessions.
- Positive, self-motivated, and quick learner with an upbeat attitude, entrepreneurial spirit, and drive to succeed with a diverse set of stakeholders, partners, staff and volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education in a related field (e.g., nonprofit management, program management, public or environmental policy, advocacy, and/or organizing) with 3-5 years professional work experience; OR equivalent professional work experience of 10+ years.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, group facilitation skills, interpersonal skills, strong technological abilities (e.g. Microsoft Office programs, Salesforce) and comfort learning new cloud-based systems (e.g. webinar and online communication platforms).
- Self-directed; demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team player, defining and tracking deadlines, progress, and contributions of others and staying on track and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Commitment to River Network’s mission, and to values of mutual respect and collaboration, teamwork and inclusion.
- Ability to travel throughout the mid-Atlantic region (average 4-5 days/month); attend the annual River Rally conference and 1-2 staff retreats/yr.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL ALSO HAVE:
- Experience supporting organizations and networks in developing and advancing initiatives in the areas of equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Experience and working knowledge of strategies to protect and restore rivers and other waters, including of green infrastructure practices and financing mechanisms.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume as one integrated PDF document to Diana Toledo (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “MID-ATLANTIC LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT MANAGER” in the subject line of the email. All applications must be submitted prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on April 5, 2019. Expected hire date: May/June. Applicants granted an interview will be asked to provide work samples and references. No phone calls please.