Title: Chispa Communications Director
Reports to: SVP of Communications
Positions reporting to this position: N/A
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
In 2014, LCV launched Chispa (“chispa” translates to “spark” in English), a program that relies on community organizing to build the voice and power of Latino families to influence the environmental policies and decisions that affect their lives. Through our programs in six states, our members have taken leadership in the fights to keep rooftop solar affordable and accessible and convert dirty diesel school buses to clean electric fleets, developed Latino and other people of color policy makers as champions on environmental issues, demonstrated to Spanish-language media that the environment is a priority issue for Latino families, and built strong relationships with social justice and environmental groups alike.
We are seeking a Communications Director to oversee and implement Chispa communications strategies by developing opportunities and materials that engage various audiences, particularly Latino families and leaders, in climate and environmental justice and other issues. We are seeking a bilingual, culturally competent candidate who possesses strong written and oral communication skills, and is results-focused, highly driven, thoughtful and strategic.
- Build relationships with Spanish-language and Latino-focused national and local media and ensure ongoing coverage of Chispa’s issues, message and spokespeople at national and state levels.
- Collaborate with the Chispa national and in-state programs, and LCV’s Communications and Online teams to develop, implement and evaluate traditional media and social media campaigns that advance Chispa’s national and state goals.
- Coordinate with Chispa’s Online Campaigner to develop social media and online content that builds a strong and active social media presence and following for national and state Chispa
- Write press statements, advisories, releases, opinion editorials, letters to the editor and other materials that integrate messaging that reflects Latino culture and values and advances program goals.
- Provide coaching, training and support for communications in state-based Chispa
- Work with Chispa team to develop bilingual, culturally-competent content for info-graphics, fliers, fact sheets and other written materials for diverse audiences.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson
- Minimum 5 years experience in media communications; preference given to experience with grassroots community, issue or labor organizing programs
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Spanish
- Experience developing, implementing and evaluating communications plans for short and long-term campaigns or programs
- Experience with speaking on-the-record to press
- A track record of successfully engaging different audiences into different levels of advocacy
- A track record of using social media platforms to advance program goals, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Enthusiasm and a commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of Latino communities and other communities of color, and confidence in the community’s capacity to affect social change
- Ability to apply LCV’s commitment to racial justice to all aspects of communications work.
- Strong team player with experience incorporating significant feedback received from a variety of partners and consultants
- The highest level of integrity, confidentiality and workplace ethics
- The position requires a willingness to work evening and weekend hours
- Demonstrated knowledge of and relationships with the Spanish-language and Latino-focused media market and outlets
- Desktop publishing and design experience preferred
This is a full-time salaried position that includes a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience. The position will be based in Washington, D.C.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume along with three professional references to email@example.com no later than January 3, 2017 with “Chispa Communications Director” in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Racial Justice, Equity and an Inclusive Workplace