The Institute for Conservation Leadership (ICL) seeks candidates for the full-time position of Senior Associate. We are looking for a seasoned practitioner who will excel at designing and delivering custom services to our clients and partners through facilitation, consulting, and training. The Senior Associate will have a passion for strengthening leaders, organizations, and networks working toward positive environmental protection, conservation, and community health goals and outcomes. Successful candidates will be comfortable with this work at local, state, and national levels and are eager to work in service to solve challenging problems. The Senior Associate will have the chance to make a big impact as a result of being on a small team.
ICL is a nonprofit organization that strengthens leaders, organizations, and collaborative efforts supporting healthy communities and a healthy Earth. ICL works with a wide range of groups across the United States and Canada. This position, based in the Washington, DC area, emphasizes ICL’s work supporting networks, partnerships, coalitions, and other collaborative entities. ICL’s impact is most often realized through custom-designed, collaborative consulting that helps to build leaders and further develop organizations.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
We are looking for candidates who are systems thinkers, who want to be in service to help solve challenging problems, and are excited about complex issues and the dynamics of collaboration. We’re looking for a relationship-builder who is neither intimidated by complex problems nor afraid to experiment. We want a team member who takes initiative and approaches work with a collaborative lens. If that sounds like you, please read on.
You have strong skills in facilitation, consulting, and training. You have at least four (4) years of proven experience in leading or supporting collaborative efforts such as networks, partnerships, or coalitions. Your expertise is in designing, managing, and delivering services to a diverse range of clients. You bring a systems theory approach to your work and are comfortable navigating complex systems. You work to support individual leaders, teams and networks, and you enjoy helping others grow professionally by influencing them to improve their work. You also agree with the value of collaborative efforts (e.g. networks, coalitions, partnerships) and effective organizations and are comfortable supporting both.
You’re a tech-savvy facilitator who is eager to lead, manage, and coordinate project, team, client, and partner meetings. You are proud of your ability to cultivate and sustain strong partner and client relationships.
You’re a self-directed, curious learner who focuses on problem-solving and solutions. You have a knack for developing engaging content both in verbal delivery and visual presentations. You agree that constructive feedback is a mechanism not only for your own professional development but for the continued development of the services you provide.
You are a self-starter who is also adept at time management. You meet internal and self-set deadlines while juggling a varying workload. You also thrive in a collaborative leadership structure.
This position focuses on three major areas of responsibility and associated outcomes, as outlined below. While our ideal candidate approaches work with a strategic lens for each of these areas, we are also looking for a candidate who has experience managing budgets and related resources and who will be comfortable supporting the careful oversight and analysis of project and program resources.
- Design and Deliver Services Within the Delaware River Watershed Initiative:
- With ICL colleagues, provide project and process design and management, coaching, meeting design and facilitation, data collection and analysis, and coordination to over 50 organizations participating in a regional water quality initiative.
- Support network development and engagement by strengthening the collaboration within specific teams of the initiative, as well as supporting collaboration throughout the whole initiative.
- With ICL and other partners, plan and deliver services that support effective collaboration, leadership development, and broad capacity building for organizations within the Initiative.
- Plan and Deliver Meeting Facilitation, Consulting, Coaching, and Training Services:
- Manage, develop, and deliver custom consulting services in support of capacity building and leadership for organizations, and especially for networks and coalitions;
- Deliver superior services including promotion/outreach, meeting design and facilitation, coaching, training workshops and coordination of scope of work activities and outcomes.
- Promote ICL Services and Programs through Education and Outreach:
- Contact leaders and groups engaged in collaborative efforts through meetings, phone calls, and email to identify opportunities to provide capacity building support;
- Participate in ICL’s efforts to connect leaders with specific ICL initiatives, programs, workshops, and tools that meet their needs;
- Connect leaders and partners (especially within current regional initiatives and existing projects) with ICL’s custom-designed services;
- Contribute to the writing, editing, and production of ICL’s external communication.
- A passion for strengthening leaders, organizations, and networks working toward positive environmental protection, conservation, and community health goals and outcomes.
- Seven to 10 years of professional experience; of which at least four (4) in leading or managing a network or collaborative entity, organization, or large program.
- Advanced understanding of issues and practices related to at least one of the following areas: environmental health, land and water conservation, community engagement, community development, and energy and food systems.
- Deep knowledge of the theories and practice of adult learning, consulting, coaching, and participatory learning methodologies.
- Commitment to values of mutual respect, collaboration, teamwork, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Comfort and experience working with and in multicultural teams.
- Ability to exercise discretion, independent judgment, and diplomacy.
- Experience and comfort working with a wide range of audiences.
- A well-developed sense of humor along with the ability to engage with warmth and professionalism in a variety of settings.
- Strong writing skills, including the capacity to synthesize and simplify concepts and processes.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven experience with and success in project management, budgeting, resource and budget management (for contracts and/or grants), and project reporting.
- Aptitude in the use of Office 365 and comfort with both using and learning a variety of CRM, project management, and collaboration software programs.
- Minimum of a B.A. or B.S.; Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Additional certificates or evidence of ongoing professional development in consulting, coaching, human systems, organization development, or nonprofit management preferred.
Roughly fifty percent (50%) of the job will be in working with ICL teammates to design and provide capacity building support to collaborative work among over 50 organizations in the Delaware River Watershed Initiative. Another thirty percent (30%) of the job will be in promoting and delivering contract services to organizations seeking collaboration support and other leadership or organizational development services. The remaining roughly twenty percent (20%) of the job will focus on ICL development, team projects, and other short-term initiatives. The position requires:
- Close coordination with foundations and ICL’s key partners, consultants, and staff.
- Availability for extensive travel; roughly 40-50% of the time.
- The ability to work independently in a fast-paced, with a small, hardworking team.
This is a senior level position with an annual salary in the $90,000-$95,000 range. ICL’s benefits package includes health insurance for employees, access to a Flexible Spending Account, competitive paid time off, professional development opportunities, and a 403b plan.
This is a full-time position based out of our office in Takoma Park, MD. There is a possibility that our location will change to a Metro-accessible office in Silver Spring, MD in July 2018.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send the following four items to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- An original meeting or workshop design sample
- A brief writing sample (2 – 5 pages)
No phone calls, please. ICL does not accept solicitations from job placement services.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ICL maintains a strong policy of equal employment opportunity. We seek to achieve equal opportunity for all staff members as articulated by federal, state and local laws. ICL actively recruits and values individuals without regard to race, creed, gender, color, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, age, or sexual orientation. Nothing in this job description or posting guarantees employment.