Vote Solar works at the state level to repower the U.S. with clean energy by making solar power more accessible and affordable through effective policy advocacy. Our ultimate goal is to maximize solar deployment in order to build a 100% clean energy system that puts the interests, health, and well-being of people at its center. We are a non-profit organization with headquarters in Oakland, CA and regional offices in Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, North Carolina, Utah, and Washington, D.C.
In partnership with the Director of Investment Partnerships, the Development Writer will develop effective fundraising materials—including funding proposals, impact reports, and program updates—for a range of current and prospective foundations and individual donors. The ideal candidate will have the ability to translate complex program strategy and policy outcomes into compelling materials for a variety of audiences. This is a great opportunity for an individual with strong writing skills looking to further develop their understanding of nonprofit fundraising.
- Working closely with the Director, write grant reports and proposals.
- Assimilate information about Vote Solar’s issues and programmatic work from a variety of sources and describe activities and goals in clear and compelling language.
- Coordinate and schedule calls or meetings with program staff to collect data and create written materials for proposals and reports. Track pledges and funding schedules.
- Track and manage proposal and report deadlines, and communicate reporting requirements to relevant program and administrative staff.
- Support the Director in assessing funding opportunities by researching current and prospective foundation partners and analyze grant-making strategies, histories, and organizational connections.
- Maintain electronic files related to grant management, utilizing database to track and update grant status and track interactions.
- Write and send acknowledgment letters when funding is received.
- Understand Vote Solar’s history, campaigns, and theory of change, and keep current with basic clean energy policy developments and trends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Skill Set:
- Strong writing skills with ability to synthesize complex ideas and align them with funder priorities.
- Detail-oriented with ability plan, prioritize, anticipate needs, and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team structure; proven ability to work well with diverse groups of people in different departments and functions.
- Technology Skills: Google suite, Microsoft suite, database management
- Interest in Vote Solar’s mission and vision
- 2-3 years of professional writing experience with preference for proven fundraising success.
This is a full-time position with flexibility around location, with a slight preference for location in the Oakland office. Vote Solar currently has staff workspaces in Oakland, Washington D.C., Denver/Boulder, Chicago and Boston. Excellent benefits: Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive package, including paid vacation and sick time, health care and a retirement savings plan. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage people of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply. Start date: ASAP.
Please send letter of interest, resume, and 2-3 writing samples to email@example.com, with the subject “Development Writer”