Vote Solar is a non-profit policy advocacy organization with the mission of making solar more accessible and affordable across the United States. We are in search of an experienced communications professional with a strong media relations background to help advance and defend clean energy policy, support our fundraising goals, and build our brand awareness and thought-leadership.
The Communications Manager or Director (title dependent on relevant work experience) will report to the Managing Director of External Relations as part of the Communication team. This position will be responsible for developing and implementing effective external communications strategies, with a primary focus on media relations. This role works in close collaboration with the Development team, the Digital Director who oversees and implements digital strategies, and our Campaign team with policy directors based in key regions across the country where we advocate for solar progress.
Areas of Responsibility: The Communications Manager or Director will be responsible for a range of communications and PR activities, including:
- Working across Vote Solar teams and with external coalition partners to develop and execute effective communications plans across multiple states and organizational priorities
- Developing messaging and talking points for Vote Solar staff and partners
- Drafting and distributing media releases
- Conducting media outreach and field media inquiries and building relationships with reporters
- Drafting and editing blog posts, op-eds and contributed articles
- Developing fact sheets, video, and other materials in support of the campaign and organizational goals
- Managing multiple PR and communications consultants (note that this position does not have any direct reports at this time)
- Securing speaking roles and other thought leadership opportunities for Vote Solar staff through events, press conferences, webinars, and online mediums
- Supporting online actions, social media, and other grassroots advocacy strategies when needed, and coordinating with the Digital Director who develops and executes a digital strategy
The Successful Candidate Must Have:
- Three years of media-related communications experience for the Manager title, five years for the Director title, or a demonstrated track record that matches this experience
- Excellent writing skills, ideally with experience drafting and editing content for both technical and consumer audiences
- Experience developing and executing a multi-channel communications plan, ideally for policy advocacy purposes
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to plan, organize and prioritize workload and handle several tasks simultaneously
- Ability to manage work effectively across multiple teams in multiple locations
- Ability to learn and communicate about energy policy
- Social media experience in the context of media relations
Bonus Points for:
- Deep knowledge of the solar industry and/or energy policy issues and landscape
- Crisis communications experience
- General familiarity with the basics of digital advocacy strategies
- Social media experience in digital advocacy and organizing
- Familiarity with the rules and restrictions associated with working for 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 charitable organizations
Vote Solar’s organizational culture values humor, kindness and respect in interpersonal relationships, working hard and effectively, and a passion for winning.
This position will be based at an existing Vote Solar office, with a preference for Oakland, California. Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits: Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive package, including paid vacation and sick time, health care and a retirement savings plan. Vote Solar is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to expand the diversity of its staff. Start date: ASAP.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Communications Position.”
Vote Solar is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. We strongly encourage leaders of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply.