The Sierra Club Environmental Law Program is seeking an Associate Attorney to join the Sierra Club’s national legal team as a litigator for the Beyond Coal Campaign based in Washington D.C. The attorney may also handle work for the Clean Transportation For All Campaign. Under the supervision of a Managing Attorney, the Associate Attorney would serve as a legal resource for the Campaigns; litigate environmental, energy and transportation cases supporting the Campaigns; help design and implement legal strategies; and coordinate with campaign staff, coalition partners, and outside counsel.
The Beyond Coal Campaign has been at the forefront of the effort to decarbonize the electricity grid. It has played a central role in driving the retirement of coal plants, forestalling the buildout of fracked gas plants, and driving energy efficiency, renewable energy and storage onto the grid. The Beyond Coal Campaign has achieved these results by using the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act, and numerous other federal, state and local laws in litigation and other advocacy in courts and governmental tribunals across the country. The Clean Transportation For All (“CTFA”) campaign likewise focuses on the decarbonization of the transportation sector. The Sierra Club Environmental Law Program supports CTFA through litigation and other legal advocacy that accelerates transportation electrification by shifting market economics and accelerating the buildout of charging infrastructure, among other things.
Equity, justice and inclusion are central to the Sierra Club’s work. The Campaigns’ efforts to address carbon and public health pollutants, and the allocation of the benefits and burdens of our energy and transportation systems, likewise seek to address equity and justice concerns and the disproportionate burdens that disadvantaged communities have carried to date.
Location: Washington, D.C.
- Litigates key Sierra Club lawsuits, under the supervision of managing and senior staff attorneys; assumes increasing litigation responsibilities including discovery management, witness handling, brief writing and oral argument.
- Implements strategic, programmatic legal campaigns to support the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal and other campaigns’ objectives; helps coordinate the litigation work of strategic legal campaigns; assumes responsibility for relationships with staff, volunteer leaders, and outside counsel.
- Helps evaluate proposed litigation to advise national volunteer and staff leadership on the scope of Sierra Club participation in legal actions.
- Helps develop and plan programmatic litigation campaigns to support the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign and Transportation Campaign objectives, as the case may be; assists in drafting legal components of strategic plans and reports.
- Helps develop and execute work in a manner that centers on and promotes equity, justice and inclusion, and intentionally addresses the history of inequitable environmental and economic burdens carried by disadvantaged communities.
- Analyzes legal cases and trends for Sierra Club management and membership.
- Serves as legal resource for Sierra Club membership; helps Chapters and groups with their local energy-related legal programs and objectives.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
- D. degree and license to practice law.
- 0–3 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consensus-building skills.
- A commitment to working collaboratively to advance equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Knowledge of environmental or energy law.
- Passion for the Sierra Club’s mission to enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment.
To Apply: Please visit http://www.sierraclub.org/careers to apply for this position. The hiring committee will review applications on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled. Please attach a cover letter, resume, three references, writing sample and law school transcript to the online application. In your cover letter, please address how your background has prepared you to contribute to the Sierra Club’s mission—particularly its commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and justice—and aspects of your background that demonstrate your ability to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.