The Sierra Club is the nation's leader in grassroots environmental and energy litigation. We enforce environmental laws and target the most pressing environmental issues through strategic legal advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels nationwide. Attorneys in the Environmental Law Program litigate cases in support of the Sierra Club’s national campaigns.
The Sierra Club Environmental Law Program is seeking an Associate Attorney to join the national Sierra Club’s legal team as a litigator for the Beyond Coal Campaign. Under the supervision of a Managing Attorney, the Associate Attorney serves as a legal resource for the Beyond Coal Campaign; litigates environmental and energy cases supporting the Campaign; helps design and implement legal strategies; and coordinates with campaign staff, coalition partners, and outside counsel.
Location: Oakland, CA
1. Litigates key Sierra Club lawsuits, under the supervision of managing and senior staff attorneys; assumes increasing litigation responsibilities including discovery management, witness handling, brief writing and oral argument.
2. Implements strategic, programmatic legal campaigns to support the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal and other campaigns objectives; helps coordinate the litigation work of strategic legal campaigns; assumes responsibility for relationships with staff, volunteer leaders, and outside counsel.
3. Helps evaluate proposed litigation to advise national volunteer and staff leadership on the scope of Sierra Club participation in legal actions.
4. Helps develop and plan programmatic litigation campaigns to support the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign objectives; assists in drafting legal components of strategic plans and reports.
5. Analyzes legal cases and trends for Sierra Club management and membership.
6. Serves as legal resource for Sierra Club membership; helps Chapters and groups with their local energy-related legal programs and objectives.
7. Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
• J.D. degree and license to practice law.
• 0–3 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
• Excellent writing and analytical skills.
• Strong interpersonal and consensus building skills.
• A commitment to working collaboratively to advance equity, inclusion, and justice.
• Knowledge of environmental or energy law.
• Passion for the Sierra Club’s mission to enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment.
To Apply: Please visit https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=SIERRACLUB&cws=39&rid=1367. The hiring committee will review applications on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled. Please attach a cover letter, resume, three references, writing sample, and law school transcript to the online application. In your cover letter, please address how your background has prepared you to contribute to the Sierra Club’s mission — particularly its commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and justice, — and aspects of your background that demonstrate your ability to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.