The Water Hub is seeking an Associate Director of Media Strategy to help build the public and political will needed to solve some of the most pressing water challenges facing the western United States. Housed at Climate Nexus, the Water Hub was created to elevate water as a public health, economic and social justice crisis, in addition to an environmental one. We will work to increase the quantity and quality of water news while raising the profile of our partner organizations.
At a time when so many stories center on conflict, we will be looking to create new narratives of progress and possibility, spotlighting the water solutions taking root from urban neighborhoods to forests and farmland. We will also work to broaden the conversation, uplifting the voices and stories of frontline communities, Native nations, and other underrepresented groups.
The Associate Director of Media Strategy will be part of a collaborative, five-person team. As the lead listener and storyteller for the Water Hub, the Associate Director will help the team to identify and engage emerging needs and opportunities while keeping the big picture firmly in mind to ensure we are focusing our time on the most impactful media moments. The Associate Director will work closely with the Managing Director to set the team’s earned media strategy and identify trends and intersections to ensure we are breaking down rather than reinforcing the silos that currently characterize water advocacy. This position will focus on the following:
- Work in partnership with colleagues to design and execute an earned media strategy that changes the conversation on Western water, lifting up more human and hopeful stories to set the stage for on-the-ground program and policy success.
- Serve as the editorial hub for the team, helping to coordinate stories and strategies to ensure the media and messaging we create advances a clear and cohesive vision for water progress.
- Assist in creating systems to identify and respond to emerging threats and opportunities.
- Work with partner organizations to align and implement media strategies, including pitching stories and writing and placing op-eds.
- Translate research into compelling communications products to influence public opinion, policy debates, and media coverage.
- Engage and build relationships with journalists who cover politics, water, health, and climate change.
- Passion for advocacy, and for creating a more just and sustainable world.
- Creative and entrepreneurial; excited to help create something impactful.
- Able to receive feedback with openness and humility.
- Effective network and relationship builder.
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Solid work ethic and good humor; willing to hustle and pitch in as needed.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 8 -10 years of experience in communications, public relations and/or media relations, journalism, politics, or campaigns.
- Experience working on water, environmental justice, public health, etc.
- Persuasive communicator with outstanding interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills. Able to guide others to create and deliver effective content.
- Knowledgeable about news gathering techniques and story development, placement, and presentation.
- Exhibits political savvy. Strong stakeholder and coalition management skills.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
- Benefits package, including paid personal and sick leave; standard health, dental and vision packages; employer contributions to 401k retirement account; parental leave after one year; commuter transit benefit.
Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer. Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages qualified persons of diverse age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, or military or veteran status to apply.
Chaloner has partnered with The Water Hub at Climate Nexus on their search for an Associate Director of Media Strategy. Interested candidates should apply by using the application form. Chaloner will review all applicants and, upon qualification, contact you to determine next steps.