Senior Manager, Corporate Climate Engagement
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization engaging the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the global economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Manager, Corporate Climate Engagement will coordinate Ceres’ campaign on carbon asset risk to address climate risk issues facing the energy sector. The successful applicant will work with Ceres’ Oil and Gas, Electric Power, Investor Network and Climate Action 100+ teams to mobilize investors to help prevent catastrophic impacts of climate change by pressuring fossil fuel companies to invest significantly less capital in carbon intensive business models and assets. The Senior Manager will also support engagements with other key market actors who have the power to influence how the fossil fuel industry invests its capital.
This is an exciting time to be working with some of the world’s largest investors to engage with an industry that has considerable influence over the world’s future energy mix. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office and reporting to the Director of Oil and Gas.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and execute Ceres’ organizational strategy for advancing the Carbon Asset Risk campaign.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive campaign strategy to discourage continued fossil fuel industry investment in high carbon fuels and infrastructure, and to encourage rapid transition to low-carbon energy.
- Conduct an annual assessment of the campaign and refine strategies and tactics based on evaluation.
- Mobilize a multi-trillion dollar investor coalition with the goal of reducing industry investment in at-risk assets.
- Continue to refine and strengthen the business case for investor action on carbon asset risk, by managing and/or conducting research.
- Work with Ceres’ Communications and Marketing team as well as Ceres’ Climate & Energy Communications Manager to develop and execute communications strategies to persuade key decision makers of the risks of high cost/high carbon fossil fuel investments.
- Partner with other Ceres teams, including the Electric Power, Transportation, Investor Network and Climate Action 100+ teams, to execute Ceres’ carbon asset risk strategy.
- Support the development of fundraising proposals and reports related to Ceres’ carbon asset risk work.
- Supervise work of consultants necessary to advance campaign objectives.
- Assist or lead with management of events to advance campaign objectives.
- Travel, as needed, to engage with companies, investors and stakeholders.
- As needed, support other campaigns on other key sustainability issues for Ceres.
- Minimum of seven years of work experience in a related field.
- Advocacy or campaign experience is required.
- Bachelor degree required and advanced degree in related field preferred.
- Knowledge of, and experience related to, climate change, the energy sector and corporate sustainability issues; knowledge of the oil and gas and/or electric power industries is preferred, but not required.
- An understanding of the role of corporate finance and the investor community (including investment firms, financial institutions, and institutional investors) is preferred, but not required.
- Strong strategic thinking and tactical skills, and ability to mobilize constituencies toward identified goals.
- Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with multiple partners and coalitions, and/or consultants.
- Sound judgement, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, superior leadership ability, strong initiative and motivation.
- Successful record of organizing and executing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver specific projects and initiatives independently and leading a team.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Strong meeting facilitation and verbal communication skills.
- Aptitude for learning and synthesizing complex subject matter to advance advocacy objectives.
- Experience supervising staff members or external consultants.
How to Apply
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.