Manager, Food and Forests
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Food and Forests team works to protect forests from the impacts of agriculture, largely with a focus on influencing the largest food and beverage companies to improve the sustainability of their agricultural sourcing policies and practices. We are seeking a Manager, Deforestation to support key projects on deforestation impacts of agricultural supply chains.
The Manager supports the research and programmatic work of the Food and Forest team. This role would serve as a focal point on deforestation issues, working with investors, companies, and partner organizations to accelerate adoption and implementation of no-deforestation commitments. We seek a solution oriented individual to work in close collaboration with colleagues at Ceres as well as external partners. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support the development and execution of programmatic strategy for Ceres’ commodity-based deforestation work. Develop policy positions, programmatic approaches, and technical messaging
- Manage the creation, release, and distribution of new research and analysis on material risks from deforestation.
- Develop media messaging and communications materials, including op-eds, press releases and blogs.
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work
- Coordinate with other Ceres program teams (e.g. Investor Network, Company Network, Communications, Development, Operations) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives
- Assist in the planning of the annual Ceres Conference program and other events
- Travel to meetings and events, including international travel, as required
- Support special projects of Food and Forests team, as necessary
- 5 years of relevant work experience in sustainability field, with a specific focus on deforestation
- Graduate degree in environmental studies, environmental science, sustainability, or natural resources, preferred
- Direct work on sustainability issues within a company or NGO workplace
- Demonstrate knowledge of supply chain dynamics and corporate sustainable sourcing best practices through academic course work or direct work experience.
- Experience in North American context is required, coupled with an understanding of the broader international context for sustainability.
- Excellent written and presentation skills. Ability to translate technical material into information that can be used effectively by financial decision-makers.
- Effective facilitation skills with the ability to bring divergent ideas to a productive conclusion.
- Sound judgment, experience working with diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Ability to move seamlessly between collaborative, team-driven activities and independent projects.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
Click Here to Learn More and to Apply