Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
This position is responsible for stewarding and expanding Ceres’ annual fund and maintaining and improving development operations. Based in Ceres’ Boston office, the Manager, Development drives annual fund strategies and manages the Ceres 1000 individual giving network, development operations and donor stewardship. He/she has dotted-line supervision of the Development Assistant and serves as the liaison to the communications/marketing team. Reporting to the Director, Development, the Manager works closely with other development staff and the development team in the Ceres San Francisco office to develop and execute plans, set goals, and implement specific annual fund and Ceres 1000 cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies. The Manager will be involved in the planning and execution of Ceres’ 30th anniversary activities in 2019. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced development professional to help take a rapidly growing individual donor program to the next level.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage and largely execute all annual fund cultivation and solicitation activities including direct mail, acquisition efforts, and digital campaigns.
- Manage and implement the stewardship program for annual fund donors.
- Mange vendor relationships.
- Evaluate, recommend and implement new fundraising forms and practices.
Ceres 1000 individual giving network
- Manage the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities of a portfolio of Ceres 1000 members in the $1,000 - $4,999 gift range.
- Ensure and track successful delivery of benefits associate with membership for portfolio.
- Generate and conduct periodic analysis of portfolio.
- Execute ongoing communication with the Ceres 1000 including news updates, event invitations and other engagement opportunities.
- Maintain accuracy of Ceres 1000 member records in Salesforce database.
- Identify Ceres 1000 prospects from annual fund pool.
- Work with Development Director to elevate Ceres 1000 members who might be good major donor prospects.
- Oversee Development Assistant’s database gift and donor information entry, acknowledgement letter process and reconciliation process between finance and development.
- Develop and maintain performance reports and dashboards on individual giving.
- Ensure accuracy of donor records in Salesforce database, including assisting in maintaining research, rating and tracking for prospects.
- Perform dotted-line supervision for the Development Assistant’s work related to operations and annual fund activities.
- Assist with the development department budget management.
Marketing and Digital Communications
- Serve as liaison to communications/marketing team on website updates, Ceres Works donor newsletter, development collateral and other print and digital marketing materials.
- Work with the communications/marketing team to maximize the philanthropic potential of Ceres’ digital community.
- Assist efforts to build the digital community where appropriate by exploring, vetting and helping to implement new growth tactics.
- Provide input on the master email schedule that is maintained by the communications/marketing team.
- Serve on cross-departmental teams as needed.
- Manage specific event related tasks, as needed, for Ceres’ major events such as Anniversary Galas and the annual Conference.
- Manage the selection process and supervise Development interns as needed.
- Vet and implement third-party fundraising sites and campaigns.
- Evaluate charity watchdog and rating groups and manage organizational application and profile.
- Manage relationships with student groups and other third-parties as needed.
- Bachelor degree required.
- Five years or more of work experience, preferably direct fundraising experience for a mission-driven organization.
- Experience with Annual Fund management and donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship processes.
- Database-proficient, with the ability to learn and retain complex data entry and other systems. Knowledge of Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack a plus.
- Experience with digital strategies used to acquire and steward donors a plus.
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects, delivering on time, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Demonstrated strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Self-starter focused on execution, with ability to manage multiple projects.
- Knowledge of the sustainability space desirable.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.