Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
The Development Assistant will work with the Director of Development, California (DOD West), primarily focusing on individual giving and development events, and s/he also will be part of a 10-person development team in Boston. The Development Assistant will report to the DOD West and provide administrative support to this position. This full-time job, based in San Francisco, CA, is an excellent entry-level position for an individual with an interest in climate change and sustainability who would like to build skills and experience in individual giving, development operations, events, and donor relations.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following.
- Manage the maintenance of up-to-date donor contact information records in Salesforce, including reviewing donor data for accuracy and reporting, developing reports from Salesforce on west coast donors and prospects, and working with the Boston development staff to develop organization-wide donor reports.
- Support annual fund activities as needed, including direct mail and email solicitation, monthly donation maintenance, and donor stewardship efforts.
- Support DOD West with regard to IT/systems affecting development.
- Carry out administrative tasks as needed, including logistics for meetings and conferences, materials preparation, and record keeping.
- Provide support as requested at organization-wide program events, such as the Ceres Conference or Investor Summit.
- Foster West Coast development team culture and camaraderie through department lunches, gatherings and celebrations.
- Act as liaison between CA and Boston development teams.
- Research donors, prospects, gatekeepers and funding organizations and affinity groups
- Prepare major donor and funder reports, proposals, briefings and calls as needed.
- Support ongoing stewardship and communication with the Ceres 1000 donor community, including news updates, event invitations and other engagement opportunities.
- Manage donor acquisition and awareness activities, including direct and email outreach.
- Support Boston staff for development-related meetings and briefings for west coast trips.
- Support tracking and assessment of donor appeal and acquisition outcomes.
- Manage West Coast event preparation, including compiling invitation lists, working with outside vendors on event logistics, tracking responses, and developing attendee profiles.
- Manage West Coast event ticket and sponsorship processing and ensure fundraising event tickets and sponsorships are accurately recorded in Salesforce.
- Provide staffing and logistical support at development events.
- Process acknowledgement letters for West Coast event tickets, support thank you and follow-up outreach.
- Support tracking and assessment of event outcomes.
- One to two years of full-time work experience, beyond Internships, in an office setting. Prior development experience in a nonprofit setting is a plus.
- Prior administrative experience desired
- Desire to learn and develop expertise in donor database platforms required and proficiency with a donor database platform a strong plus.
- Polished communication and interpersonal skills with external constituents
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to act with diplomacy with constituents and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Work well both independently and collaboratively within a team setting.
- Ability to multi-task, meet multiple deadlines, and keep a calm demeanor in a fast-pace environment.
- Demonstrated interest in environmental and sustainability issues, a plus.
- Proficient using database systems, word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and e-mail computer applications (Salesforce, Google Suite, and MS Office Suite).
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and two writing samples. Please apply through the Ceres website, https://www.ceres.org/about-us/career-opportunities.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.