Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor supported nature preserve, is seeking an environmental educator to fill the position of Seasonal Environmental Educator (4 month, p/t, with extension if desired.
Mohonk Preserve is a dynamic organization with responsibility for managing nearly 8,000 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, NY. The Preserve has four integrated programs – Education, Conservation Science, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection, and is a regional model for large-scale conservation planning. We have an annual budget of $4.4 million, 37 year-round staff and over 350 volunteers. We have a diverse support base of over 16,000 members. Our Visitor Center is an award-winning green design building surrounded by nature trails and is a great work environment!
We have an exceptional Education department offering programs including field studies and outreach for schools, summer camps, public programs, and interpretive exhibits. We are seeking an educator who loves the outdoors and working with children, with excellent teaching, organizational and interpersonal skills. This seasonal part-time position will work from Sept.3-Dec.31, 2019 and reports directly to the Director of Education. If successful, the candidate may return for a 10-month p/t position from March–Dec. 2020 with optional shared housing.
The essential responsibilities include:
- learning and teaching the field study and outreach curricula, policies of the Mohonk Preserve and its philosophy of environmental education;
- leading 6 weeks of summer camps outdoors while teaching environmental education;
- general support of the education department;
- A commitment to the mission of the Mohonk Preserve is required.
The successful candidate has:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Education or related field;
- experience in outdoor and/or environmental education;
- a strong knowledge base of the natural and cultural history of the region;
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills are necessary to interact with staff, volunteers, children, teachers and the public in general;
- driver’s license and a vehicle;
- There is a significant fieldwork component to this position. Must be able to hike up to 5 miles with some elevation gain while carrying program equipment.
Excellent work environment with a staff of dedicated conservationists and a supportive team of professional environmental educators.
Salary of $14-15/hour commensurate with experience for teaching school programs, plus stipend for summer camps averaging $17.50/hour; Housing is not available Sept.–Dec. 2019, but is provided from March 1 to Dec. 31, 2020 with the option to rent in Jan. and Feb. at $400/mo.
Mail or electronic resumes will be accepted, with cover letter and 3 references.
Please submit by June 28, 2019 to: Director of Education, Mohonk Preserve, P.O. Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12561 or email@example.com
No phone calls please.
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates.