Job Title: Administrative Assistant (Full-time, Nonexempt)
Job Number: 18-08-3900R
We are seeking an experienced and organized assistant to support the Local Grantmaking Program and the Legal Compliance team.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation) is a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for more than 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. The Foundation makes grants at the local, state, national, and international level towards the issues their founders cared about most—improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
A staff of 125 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
The Local Grantmaking Program supports an array of nonprofit organizations in geographic areas that are significant to the Packard family. These include the five California counties that surround the Foundation in Los Altos, California—San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Benito, as well as Pueblo, Colorado, the birthplace of David Packard. Our goal in supporting these communities is to help make them stronger and more vibrant places where families can thrive and reach their potential.
The Legal Compliance team—comprised of three attorneys and three compliance representatives—within the Office of General Counsel and oversees the grantmaking compliance process. The team’s primary responsibility is to review Foundation grants to ensure compliance with the various legal rules applicable to private foundations.
This position will spend half of the time supporting Local and half of the time supporting Legal Compliance. The role will report to the Local Program Operations Manager and a member of the legal team.
- Manage phone and email for the Local Program team and the Legal Compliance team, including screening calendar requests and calls, and using excellent judgment when responding to a variety of requests
- Work closely with the Local Program team and Legal Compliance team to coordinate department meetings and functions and to complete routine compliance tasks in support of the department’s overall work
- Work closely with the Legal Compliance team to complete compliance review and all related tasks for a specific grantmaking portfolio and support compliance in the review of grants, as needed
- Compose, proof, and edit correspondence and other documents for correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, format, and content
- Organize and maintain files, including electronic and hardcopy
- Plan domestic and occasional international travel utilizing an agency
- Prepare expense reports monthly for the Local Program team
- Research as directed and assemble in advance, relevant information for meetings, correspondence, and reports.
- Work with events staff to assist in coordinating onsite and offsite meetings
- Handle confidential and non-routine information with a high degree of sensitivity
- Review, monitor, and submit contracts, invoices, and expenses from a variety of providers including external counsel
- Input, track, and extract grant information from Fluxx grants database as requested
- Coordinate the communications between the Los Altos office and Pueblo, CO grantmaking; maintain Pueblo grants data
- Back up to program support staff
- Undertake other duties and projects as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- BA/BS degree or equivalent education and related work experience
- Minimum of three years of administrative experience supporting managers and teams
- Professional, gracious, flexible, responsive, with a customer service attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent knowledge and skill with Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and SharePoint
- Demonstrated and excellent time management and organization skills and ability to meet deadlines and requirements
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and anticipate information needed by others
- Demonstrated experience in exercising excellent judgment in non-routine matters and handling and protecting confidential and sensitive information
- Demonstrated teamwork and flexibility skills
- Willingness to work overtime when occasionally required
- Willingness to travel locally and to Pueblo if necessary
- Strong ability to do work that requires attention to detail and accuracy
- Has a sense of humor and demonstrates grace under pressure
- Interest in the program areas of the Foundation is a plus
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours), lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 20 lbs.), and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Benefits and Compensation
We offer excellent benefits and compensation that is commensurate with education and related work experience. The position is located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
Email a one-page cover letter and a resume explaining your interest and how your skills and work experience fit the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference job number 18-08-3900R in the subject line.
Principal applicants only.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome a diverse candidate pool.
No phone inquiries, please.