Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action group, combining the power of more than two million members and online activists with the expertise of nearly 500 scientists, lawyers, policy advocates, and other professionals across the globe ensure the rights of all people to the air, the water, and the wild. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff – a force for nature - work out of offices in New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking an attorney or advocate to work with the wildlife team in our Chicago or DC office. The team pursues litigation under the Endangered Species Act and other environmental laws, lobbies for legislation to protect wildlife and against legislation that would harm species, and advocates for corporations to take actions consistent with our goals. The advocate will work closely with other NRDC staff on litigation, state and federal advocacy, policy, and media to protect bees and monarch butterflies, with a particular focus on reducing or eliminating harmful pesticides.
- Litigate cases under federal and state environmental laws
- Lobby for state and federal legislation that protects pollinators or reduces pesticide use
- Advocate for corporate change that would decrease pesticide use or increase pollinator habitat
- Prepare technical comments, reports, and briefing materials on policies that affect bees and monarch butterflies
- Develop relationships with conservation groups focused on similar issues and with other constituencies, such as farmers
- Engage in media and public outreach on pollinator issues, including through social media and public speaking
- JD or Masters Degree in relevant field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience, including time in an environmental advocacy, law, or policy position
- A passion for protecting the environment and advancing NRDC’s pollinator and wildlife priorities
- Ability to work with local communities and diverse range of organizations on complex issues
- Excellent speaking, writing, research, and analytical skills including ability to translate complex scientific information into understandable policy and media-targeted documents
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience working with public officials, media and members of the public in an advocacy context
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team setting
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at:
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org