WattTime is an environmental nonprofit with a twist: we developed the groundbreaking technology known as Automated Emissions Reduction (AER). AER drives revenue by enabling businesses across the world to voluntarily slash emissions. While so many nonprofits spend lots of time working within resource constraints on a vision with no near term finish line, we have a rapidly scaling technology, the support of over 300 volunteers, and donors motivated by the impacts we’re currently having and where we’re going. In other words, reaching our vision of “AER for everyone everywhere” is very much possible in the next five years. That’s pretty exciting. And it’s a lot of hard work too.
Do you agree with the idea that saving the world sometimes takes a little sweat and struggle?
If your answer is not just yeah, but YES!!!!!, then come work with us! We are so excited to meet you.
Experience and skills can be gained in many different contexts. In one way or another, you have successfully navigated these situations and developed and deployed the necessary tools to deliver quality work.
- Demonstratable analytical skills
- Take on a mix of ongoing and project-specific work in both independent and interdisciplinary capacities
- Understanding of and experience applying statistical analysis, causal inference, modeling or predictive analytics
- Prior experience working with power grid, emissions and/ or energy data preferred
- Resourcefulness: you’re equally comfortable coming up with ways to make it work as you are asking for what you need
- Growth mindset: if you don’t know the answer now, you’re excited to learn
- Impact driven: you do the boring work with as much attention and vigor as the fun stuff
- Excellent listener and communicator: you ask questions, you seek out new information, you articulate complex points clearly and concisely
ABOUT THE WORK
This is a unique opportunity to work within a tech start-up that’s also a nonprofit in the energy sector. We are looking for a few different roles that fall into relatively similar job categories. Below are the areas where we have a need – if you have additional skills to contribute or interest in picking from amongst the below and/or other open roles, we’re happy to have that conversation with you. The best match for us is work that needs to be done to accomplish our mission with folks who bring skills, curiosity and perseverance to make it happen.
Some of the needs in this area include:
AER Program Manager
- Work with customers to integrate AER into their offerings
- Manage the technical aspects of grant reporting related to AER applications
- Work with the partnerships team on technical analysis for customers
- Research, collect and make sense of new groups of data
- Practice sound judgement in evaluating data sources and making a plan
- Comfortable with iteration, especially in the context of engaging in the unknown
- Expert in remote sensing, in the context of satellite applications
- WattTime headquarters in Oakland, CA. Remote location available for this role.
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Salary dependent on location and experience
- Submit a resume and cover letter that explains 1) your motivation for WattTime’s mission 2) the skills and experience that make you a fit for this role
- Application deadline: Rolling application process until we find the right fit
WORKING AT WATTTIME
We are practical, results-driven change makers. We believe nothing has more potential for fast, world-changing impact, than software. We embrace change. We are lean and rapid prototypers. We never confuse growth with impact. We are all personally, fiercely committed to our mission. We are quietly radical in unexpected ways. We have allies, not competitors. We trust in data and everyone’s voice being heard. We know diversity is central to success. We consider respect non-negotiable: there are no jerks here.
We offer competitive benefits and professional development opportunities.
Unlike most startups, our team is backed by more than 300 volunteers who contributed to our founding and are happy to support us in terms of advice, networking and perspective. We also sit within the RMI family which brings additional upside in terms of robust benefits, support, industry connections and credibility.
WattTime is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, or sexual orientation or classification.
WattTime is a nonprofit with a software tech startup DNA, dedicated to giving everyone everywhere the power to choose clean energy. We invented Automated Emissions Reduction (AER), which allows utilities, IoT device and energy storage companies, and any end user to effortlessly reduce emissions from energy, when and where they happen. Our cutting-edge insights and algorithms, coupled with machine learning, can shift the timing of flexible electricity use to sync with times of cleaner energy and avoid times of dirtier energy. We sell solutions that make it easy for anyone to achieve emissions reductions without compromising cost and user experience. WattTime was founded by PhD researchers from the University of California, Berkeley, and in 2017 became a subsidiary of Rocky Mountain Institute.