Campaigner or Senior Campaigner
Oakland preferred, other locations considered.
General position overview: The Center for Biological Diversity seeks an experienced campaigner or organizer for its oceans program. The aim of the position is to campaign for the protection of marine wildlife and ecosystems from threats including offshore drilling, plastic pollution, climate change and destructive fisheries.
The campaigner will use their skills to plan and execute strategic campaigns that promote ocean conservation. The campaigner will develop and implement bold initiatives to mobilize support for our campaigns. The position will include organizing protests and other creative tactics. An integral part of the position will be to build power with allies and the public to influence decision-makers on critical issues.
We are seeking a motivated, strategic, and experienced campaigner. Priority campaigns in the coming year include: (1) fighting the massive plastic industry boom; (2) halting offshore oil and gas drilling; and (3) advancing protections for endangered marine wildlife.
- Plan and implement effective campaigns that inspire people to demand meaningful policy changes.
- Develop and run state- and national-level campaigns, and coordinate with program staff on campaigns.
- Communicate with decision-makers, the public, allies and opinion leaders through writing, outreach and public speaking.
- Develop and implement effective community organizing strategies, tactics, and tools.
- Write science and policy-based comments for administrative and legislative advocacy.
- Engage, coordinate and collaborate with a broad alliance of organizations in coalition to identify and advance winning strategies.
- Media advocacy and delivering effective statements to reporters.
- Organize and promote participation in protests, rallies, public meetings, and other events.
- Travel required.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral; including strong public speaking skills
- At least three years of experience leading successful campaigns
- Track record of inspiring people to take action in online and offline spaces
- Highly organized and experience managing multiple projects
- Strong work ethic and time management skills
- Experience working effectively within coalitions, including honoring best practices and competence in diversity, equity and inclusion
Application Process: Please apply via this online application by submitting a cover letter, resume, references and a writing sample. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth. We are an equal opportunity employer.