Job Opening: Chispa-CT Program Director / Connecticut League of Conservation Voters Education Fund
Location: Stationed in Hartford Office with some satellite work in Middletown, Waterbury & New Haven
Deadline for submission: August 2018
Work Schedule: Full-time
The Connecticut League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (CTLCV Ed Fund) is hiring a Program Director for our Chispa CT program. Chispa CT is an environmental justice education and civic engagement program of the CTLCV Ed Fund. Chispa activates communities of color, particularly youth and their parents, on environmental justice issues throughout the state.
We are seeking a Program Director responsible for managing the day to day operations of the Chispa CT Program. Oversight of the program includes, but is not limited to supervising Chispa Community Organizers and Environmental Promotores. He/she will assist with the recruitment, training and mobilization of volunteers on critical environmental issues facing Connecticut. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in managing community organizers, establishing reporting metrics, meeting benchmarks and creating a long-term strategy and organizing plan for the organization.
The candidate must possess a genuine interest in developing leadership skills of individuals and helping communities. The Chispa Director must have a leadership and communications style that inspires and engages staff and volunteers. The Job requires an ability to navigate with ease among different settings, including grassroots, policy and funding arenas, and a strong interest in environmental activism. Preference will be given to candidates who are Spanish/English bilingual.
Job Description & Desired Skills:
- Has a strong Community organizing and managerial background.
- Connects with urban youth and adults on environmental issues directly impacting them.
- Establishes and maintains collaboration with environmental organizations in Connecticut and with the other National Chispa states.
- Maintains personal and professional relationships with a wide range of state environmental organizations working on legislation at the Capitol.
- Has a general understanding of environmental concerns and is willing to learn issues quickly as they arise at the state and local level.
- Oversees “Clean Buses for Healthy Niños” campaign (Volkswagen Settlement Fund)
- Oversees and coordinates Chispa’s activities for the “100% Clean Energy For All” campaign
- Provides trainings to Community Organizers and assists with Environmental Promotores trainings at the high school, college, and Parent Teacher Association level.
- Assists Community Organizers recruit and engage volunteers, develop their leadership skills, and ensures their active participation in grassroots activities including 100% Clean Energy For All canvass, voter registration drives and community surveys.
- Assists Community Organizers to move volunteers into increasingly higher levels of leadership.
- Leads weekly staff check-in meetings with Chispa staff and National Chispa Program.
- Helps to oversee Chispa events such as neighborhood meetings, media events, forums
- Develops relationships with community members and local leaders to recruit and activate volunteers who can effectively advocate for environmental and health issues.
- Helps Chispa to team up with other organizations on specific programs.
- Prepares reports, grants and presentations to Board members and funders.
- Provides timely updates, memos and reports to staff, funders and Executive Director.
- Enthusiasm and a commitment to building the voice and leadership of Latinx and communities of color throughout Connecticut cities;
- 3+ years community, issue, labor, or political organizing, preferably within communities color;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish;
- A strong interest in environmental activism;
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment;
- Willingness to learn, be adaptable in a variety of situations and be a problem-solver;
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Able to travel to locations around Connecticut as needed
- Genuine commitment to environmental issues and climate justice
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume by October 15, 2018 to email@example.com with “Chispa Program Director” in the subject line. No phone calls please.